Technology


During a lecture with Prof. Dzameshie, the power went out.  His response was “welcome to the third world”.   The minor power outage did not bother me; it was the heat that took over without the use of the fans, even for a few minutes.  I don’t know how I could ever survive in Ghana without a fan!  Another power outage occurred in the middle of the night while in Tamale. Kendra and I had thought that the other turned the fan off because they were cold.    Luckily there were large windows in he room, and the sunrises at 6am.  It was a unique experience showering in the dark that morning,  but sometimes you do what you have to do!  I would have showered the previous night but someone in our group took a 30-minute shower that evening and there was very little water pressure.  I don’t understand how someone could take a cold shower for 30 minutes…


Practically everyone in Ghana has a cell phone.  No one has a landline, and all the pay phones I encountered were out of order, and appeared to not have been used for quite a while. Cell phone etiquette is very different from in Canada. Prior to the presentation of the books we donated to the school,, Michael’s phone rang, and he answered it and said that he would call the person back as he was busy.  In the middle of the assistant supervisor person’s speech, the speaker’s phone rang and he answered it!!  It is funny that everyone answers their cell phone regardless of what they are doing.  Kwasi even answered his cell phone at the shrine on Sunday.  It is just very different from the etiquette I have learned.